Thursday, July 22, 2010

so I have 'survived' a first virtual class. still very new and scary this blog business. finding how to even add this post has been a challenge. Looking forward to becoming more competent in these e-learning e-communication tools.

Interesting to note the use of text throughout the session. maybe compensates for the need to wait so long to contribute. does one need ground rules about this kind of thing I wonder if it got too distracting. different challenges from face to face but the technology helps prevent too many interruptions if we remember to turn our mikes off.

some of the terminology way over my head still RSS feeds? A huge learning curve looms. I do like the synchronous 'classroom' better than the asynchronicity of email. Waiting days for responses kind of loses the spontaneity of the moment.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Gillian.

    I think you're doing fine with the tools! If you want some plain English explanations of all this Web 2.0 'stuff' then I highly recommend the videos at http://www.commoncraft.com/ They are brilliant at making all the techno-babble make sense. There's even one about RSS! :D

    Enjoy!

    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gillian,
    The whole issue of "backchanneling" (the scrolling text box and the use of Twitter) is indeed a whole other issue -- there are long discussions about what the ground rules (if any) should be. It can be a distraction especially if your attention needs to be elsewhere. I like how they suggested minimizing text while we were focused on specific content; a good suggestion for our opening session.
    Thanks,
    Cal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Mattybee You beat me to it - I was going to recommend the Common Craft videos.

    @Gillian I can highly recommend that you go to YouTube for instructions on how to do anything on the Internet - you'll bound to find something that will fulfil your info needs.

    @Cal I am experienced in coping with back chat so these last two meetings have been a great reminder to me of how distracting it can be to 'newbies'

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you Gillian - coming very raw to these tools and taking one step at a time. I think Sarah's advice of focusing on one thing at a time is useful. At the moment I am getting my head around Blogging and how to use it so it is truly interactive and 'dialogic' (is that a word???)- to ENGAGE in meaningful ways. Have a lot to learn and practice and figure out as I go!

    ReplyDelete