Tuesday, August 31, 2010

pull rather than push

Finally I have got to the end of the week ending 16th! I am definitely ending up in the lurking category. Had got behind. Whats the learning for this week then.
the idea from Stephen Downes [following that link was great] of pull not pushing the learner... this course is emphasising so much more the instrumental nature of learning through self-directed learning..... this contrasts to the idea of experts defining the learning. Does this allow us to avoid uncomfortable ideas though... How much self choice/self direction is too much. Some of my best learning was being required to tackle topics/ideas I was not keen to address.

the ideas of how to moderate asynchronous discussions mirror my ideas about sourcing ideas from the group rather than jumping in with answers. I can see well how this would work through this medium. Finally I feel I am beginning to get a sense of where this might be useful in my context. But so many options and how to choose them. and the technical stuff that we have to understand to support them seems very challenging.

2 comments:

  1. I too ran behind but made a big push to catch up. Finding the ongoing effort very rewarding in this course. I hope that encourages you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the remark re the Stephen Downes link, I'll have a look at that. I'm finding it very challenging to keep up - in fact I'm not at all. Good to read what you are up to though Gillian. Thanks for keeping us up to date.

    ReplyDelete